March
4, 2012
...THIS IS YOUR BIRTHDAY
SONG, IT ISN'T VERY LONG, HEY!!!
RUBY! Happy Birthday
yesterday! I heard from Uncle Greg that you went to Jamba Juice. How fun. Let
me know how your 14-year-old life is ok?
Sorry I didn't get anything
in the mail to you last week. I'll be on that today.
Love, Waite Shimai
Dear Fam and Waite Choro,
I got Cam's letters that
Mom sent and I still crack a smile whenever I think about Lucy's baptism.
Congrats Elder Waite. Japan is sure a different place...
We had a lesson with an investigator
yesterday. Our lesson before that, he said he was thinking about getting
baptized next year. Yesterday he said this November would be good because
it's his birthday. A ward member suggested April 6th because it's Jesus’ real
birthday... no go. That man is stubborn. I've never been super good at showing
love to investigators, and he is especially a challenge.
We've been meeting him
every week since January 1st and every time we have a lesson with him I
feel like I'm pulling teeth rather than sharing a message of gladness. And when
the lessons finally end, I open the door and feel like I've just come up
for a breath of air after a long dive in the deep end. In his lessons we go
down deeper, stay down longer, and come up drier than ever before... I think I'm
starting to understand what parents really feel like when their kids will NEVER
listen. It's real work being that guy's missionaries. I join with the
many parents who say in the most exhausted of voices "How many times do I
have to tell you..." (Get Baptized!!!!).
Other things: I had an
exchange and went to another area for a day this week. On the train back a girl
about my age did something completely un-Japanese and not only approached us,
but also interrupted our conversation to show us a ring on her finger. It
was a CTR ring. She said she had lived in Utah, and mentioned among other
places, Preston. I thought I'd heard wrong. Nope. She spent a year going to
Preston High as an exchange student. She's not a member, but loves LDS people.
I had just enough time to hand her my card with an e-mail address on it before
we had to get off at the next stop. Crazy! That's how the Lord works. A girl
from West Side and a girl who went to Preston can run into each other on the
underground-trains of Tokyo. I forget sometimes how guided missionaries
can be.
About baking: This coming
Sunday Nakayasu gets baptized! Pretty exciting. Last week we taught the law of
tithing and took 10 little cream puffs and a cake we made to do an example
about paying tithing. The cake didn't have the smoothest ride over and by the
time we used it the top layer was hanging a good 2 inches off the bottom layer.
We testified that the blessings we get from God usually arrive to
their recipient in better condition. It was fun. Afterwards he made us dinner.
The next day we went with
Handa to a cake-making workshop she wanted to go to. That night we gave our
cake away to a ward member's daughter when we did a lesson with them about the
word of wisdom. She's getting baptized this year so we go over once in a
while. The next day at Eikaiwa we had planned to teach everyone how to make the
apple crisp I had made for Christmas because a couple of the women students had
said it would be fun. Well, that day it snowed a lot and so only 4 males showed
up. We taught them anyway.
From this morning's Book of
Mormon Study: Alma 16:16 - who within your circle of acquaintances has the
Lord prepared to be taught?
Saiyonara!
Love,
Waite Shimai
PS- What is Anne Holliday's
address? I really need to communicate with that girl.
PSS- Extra pictures are
from last P-day - some other sisters came to our area and we all ate out
together and shopped for a while. One picture is of our temple trip last week.
We 'happened' to go to the same session as 2 other sisters who used to be serving
in our mission but went home because of sickness. The one on the right has
cancer. (I count my blessings that I'm still serving.)
No comments:
Post a Comment